29th Feb 2016

Wednesday 24th February 2016

Scoil Mhuire 6
Swords ETNS 1

It was an historic day for the school last Wednesday as boys from 5th and 6th class represented the first ever Scoil Mhuire soccer team in the first round of the FAI Pegasus Cup. The match was played under perfect conditions in Airlie Heights and the result fitted such an occasion as the lads ran out comfortable 6-1 winners.
For the first five minutes, however, the Swords outfit were the better side and looked very dangerous in attack. The home team got to grips with their opponents soon after though and started to dominate in every area of the pitch.
It’s always crucial to convert early in cup games and the tricky Joey O’Sullivan did so after ten minutes with a beautiful strike from the right after great work from Anthony Nkosi. This settled the nerves and the lads could now stroke the ball around with confidence. The creativity and pace of Dylan Rankin and Evan Colgan respectively was causing Swords serious problems.
This lead was soon added to when our physical centre half Benji Ubaekwe took no prisoners and bundled the ball over the line from close range after some neat build up from winger James Foley. The Lucan lads were rallying now and it was only a matter of time before they added a third. This came through our super sub Toby Nnadozie who was out to prove to Mr. Kirwan why he should have been in the starting eleven. Scoil Mhuire took this three goal advantage into half time thanks to the tireless work at the back from Nathan Weafer-Mc Govern, Benji Ubaekwe, Luke Cahill, Reece Lamphiere and Daniel Nulty.
Toby added to his account soon after the break before Swords were awarded a penalty. The penalty was expertly saved by our no. 1 Eoin Harrington, however, Swords scored a lovely goal from a free kick soon after.
The Airlie Heights lads reacted well however and subs Evan Wynne, Titas Dublinskas and Aryan Rawat added real freshness and spark to our play. Our captain Sami Clarke added a fifth goal ten minutes from time before Man of the Match Toby put the icing on the cake by scoring his hat trick.
A big thank you to Noel Shanahan who sorted the pitch, made sure we had goals and nets and opened up the dressing rooms. Thanks to Mr. Ellis too who helped set up the pitch.