6th May 2016

The boys soccer team had a disappointing start to last months’ fixtures losing their opening two games against St. Patrick’s, Corduff and St. Ciaran’s, Hartstown respectively. Well done to Ben O’Toole, Adam Doran, Adam Moran, Gareth Kennedy and Gbenga Oluwayose who all made their debuts for the soccer team in these games and really impressed.


Taney N.S. – 3

Scoil Mhuire – 4

The boys bounced back with a quarter final win against Taney N.S. in a thrilling encounter. The Scoil Mhuire lads had to battle against the elements in the opening half and did so with great fight. Taney took an early lead however, after their winger cooly finished off a fine move. Scoil Mhuire weren’t going to lie down though and Evan Colgans pace was too much for the Taney defence to handle as he breezed past his marker and finished in text book style.

Scoil Mhuire were arguably the better side in the first half but Taney scored two goals against the run of play to lead 3-1 at half time.

Toby Nndozie, Nathan Weafer-McGovern and Luke Cahill played brilliantly and ran themselves into the ground in the opening thirty minutes. Fresh legs were needed and Reece Lamphiere, Dylan Rankin and James Foley were introduced to help the cause.

With this added freshness and with Sami Clarke and Joey O’Sullivan lording things in midfield, Scoil Mhuire were really on top. Any chance the Taney lads did get was snuffed out by our “solid as a rock” defence of Aryan Rawat, Benji Ubaekwe, Reece Lamphiere and Daniel Nulty. Our second goal came from a fantastic move which started with our excellent goalkeeper Eoin Harrington and ended at the feet of winger Joey O’Sullivan who blasted a shot past the Taney goalkeeper.

Scoil Mhuire were now in search of a well deserved equaliser and got it 5 minutes from time through super sub Reece Lamphiere. Sammy Clarke swung in a beautiful corner which was bravely headed home by Reece. This left the sides level at 3-3 and the game went to extra time.

Scoil Mhuire had the momentum and they made this count when Anthony Nkosi hit a sweet strike from outside the box which flew into the top corner and sent the Scoil Mhuire lads into the cup semi final.

Well done to all involved and thank you to all parents who provided lifts and supported the lads.