The extension to our school is due to begin next Monday, May 14th. The following changes will take effect once the work begins;
• the main side gate to the school will not be available to us, so children and parents will only be allowed access to the school by the back gate at the lane or the pedestrian gate at Airlie Hts. This will mean that the vast majority of people will be entering and exiting by the back gate, so you will need to be patient.
• Children from Airlie Heights and those who come across the field from Dodsboro can enter and exit by the pedestrian gate at the front, but they must walk around the back of the school to get to their lines
• From Monday the class lines will have changed position - because the building site will take up a large chunk of the yard we have to paint new lines. The 2 Junior Infants lines will be the closest to the hoarding. Myself and other teachers will be in attendance to direct children and parents.
• Because the side gate will now become the main works gate for the building site I would strongly discourage any children having to walk past this gate.
The traffic seems to have improved slightly in the last number of weeks. This is due to your co-operation and is greatly appreciated. However, with the extension starting we all must increase our efforts;
• There are still quite a number of cars still driving into Woodview Hts, and by having to turn at the different junctions they are creating tailbacks and causing a serious danger to the many children walking and attempting to cross the roads within the estate.
• The best way to improve this situation is if parents can “drop ‘n’ go” i.e. drop their children outside the estate, maybe at Spar, or Tesco and they can walk on themselves, or for younger children, parents can ‘park and stride’. That is, park their car at Tesco/Spar/Dodsboro clinic and accompany their children to the school.
I look forward to your co-operation in this new and exciting period in our school’s development.
John Egan – Principal